FALLING SHORT OF THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS? (Freelancers)
- Once a Freelancer qualifies for coverage you will need to requalify each year to continue coverage by working 100 qualifying days, by combining worked days and banked days to equal at least 100 days, by earning 35,000 qualifying dollars, or by accumulating at least 50 combined worked and banked days and making Bridge Payments. Click HERE for more information about Banked days and Bridge Payments.
- If you do not meet the eligibility requirements to continue coverage, you and your covered dependents may be eligible for COBRA Continuation Coverage. See below for details.
STAFF EMPLOYMENT IS ENDING?
- If your covered employment is terminated without cause (i.e. you are laid off, the company closes, your position is eliminated, or other reasons that do not include your firing for cause), you and your covered dependents may be eligible for COBRA Continuation Coverage. See below for details.
COBRA CONTINUATION COVERAGE:
- If your PHBP coverage is terminated because you are no longer eligible, you will be offered COBRA continuation coverage for yourself and any eligible covered dependents.
- You may pay the cost of your insurance premium plus a small administrative fee and continue your and your dependents PHBP coverage for up to 18 months. Generally, the PHBP premiums are likely to be much less than a similar policy would cost on the individual market.
- Click here to contact the Plan Administrator to get current costs for COBRA continuation coverage.
- Click here to get more information about enrollment in COBRA continuation coverage.
CHANGING YOUR EMPLOYMENT FROM FREELANCE TO STAFF:
- Freelance coverage continues through the end of the month in which a Freelancer becomes staff.
- Staff coverage begins the first of the following month (the day after the last day of Freelance coverage).
- All unused months of the Freelancer’s current annual coverage period can be ‘banked’ for up to 18 months and can be used immediately to reinstate coverage if the staff employment ends within the 18 month banking period.
CHANGING YOUR EMPLOYMENT FROM STAFF TO FREELANCE:
- The former staff employee gets 2 days credit per month worked for a participating employer, for up to 36 total days credit (18 months of staff coverage).
- The credited days will apply towards the 100 days needed to qualify for freelance coverage.
- Standard Freelance eligibility rules apply. Click HERE to go to the Freelancer page for details about qualifying work.
Example: If a staff employee worked for 10 months at a participating employer, s/he would get 20 days credited towards the needed 100 days. The former staff employee would therefore need to either earn $35,000 or work (only) 80 days in the first year in order to qualify for freelance coverage.
CHANGING YOUR STAFF EMPLOYMENT FROM ONE PARTICIPATING EMPLOYER TO ANOTHER:
- If a covered staff employee leaves the employ of one participating employer to work at a different participating employer, the transfer of coverage is immediate and without interruption.
- Be sure to tell your new employer that you are currently covered by the PHBP with your current employer.