June 17, 2016
Freelancers are more prone to work-related accidents, so PHBP’s freelance benefit will include an income protection plan by way of short-term and long-term disability insurance, at no cost to the employee, effective July 1, 2016.
STD is administered by Metlife. STD provides the following
- 60% of your average weekly pre-disability earnings for up to 52 weeks for California employees, and for up to 26 weeks for non-California employees, after 7 days from the event causing the disability, if you are determined to be fully disabled, or partially disabled. Maximum monthly benefit is $3,000.
- Enrollment is automatic and PHBP pays the full cost of STD coverage.
- Coverage is effective once you’ve met PHBP’s eligibility requirements.
- In addition to income protection, your STD benefits include a Work Incentive Program, Rehabilitation Program Incentive, Family Care Incentive, and Moving Expense Incentive.
LTD is administered by Metlife. LTD provides the following benefits:
- 60% of your average monthly pre-disability earnings after 360 days on Short-Term disability for California employees, or after 180 days for non-California employees (or until end of STD Maximum Benefit Period). Maximum monthly benefit is $12,500.
- Enrollment is automatic and PHBP pays the full cost of LTD coverage.
- In addition to income protection, your LTD benefits include an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Return-to-Work Incentives, Rehabilitation Incentive, Family Care Benefit, Work Benefit, and Moving Expense Benefit.
Please stay tuned to more information regarding your disability coverage, from product overviews, to Q&A documents, and “How to File a Claim” instructions. Information will be posted on the PHBP website at http://www.phbp.org/freelancers/documents/benefit-information-freelancers,and specific instructions regarding your disability claim filing process will be posted at http://www.phbp.org/freelancers/documents/instructions-freelancers.